Monday, April 4, 2011

13) My First Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga Teacher - Louise Ellis


Today i.e 4th April is the birthday of Louise Ellis my first Ashtanga Vinayasa Yoga Teacher and I dedicate this blog post to her .Kindly go through my blog post "No:10) My first Mysore Ashtanga Yoga Class experience " regarding how I started my Ashtanga Vinyasa Journey with Louise Ellis .
Though my training with Louise Ellis was a short one but I consider it very valuable and treat it as a form of formal initiation for me for my Ashtanga Vinyasa Journey . I wanted to get initiated in to my Ashtanga practice only through Louise Ellis because I was  from a Sivananda Background and she also started her Yoga journey first with  the Sivananda system and Rishikesh being the place where Swami Sivanananda( my first Yoga Guru )  started his spiritual mission , I wanted my formal Ashtanga Inititaion to be at Rishikesh instead of at Mysore .
I am right now maintaining my own personal Ashtanga Vinyasa Practice at my own home and happy doing that .If time and situation permits I may go for further studies with Louise Ellis at Rishikesh or go to Mysore to study under Sharath or Saraswathi .The beauty of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga  is that it teaches you to be self reliant and develop your own inner discipline and that is what I am doing right now i.e focusing on developing my own daily dedicated Ashtanga Vinyasa practice .Since I come from a different yogic background ( i.e Sivananda Style ) , I am finding it quite challenging to adapt to the  Ashtanga Vinyasa style and hence going bit slow but steady in my Ashtanga Vinaysa practice and do not want to rush through as I believe that rushing through will result in injury and moreover we have the time tested saying "Slow and steady wins the race " and I follow that  principle for my own Ashtanga practice.
I am very much thankful to Louise Ellis for being the first  teacher  to formally initiate me in to the Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga  practice and pray the almighty to bless her with long life , good health and abundant prosperity to keep inspiring many people around the world to take up the practice of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga and in the process help heal the world.

More about Louise Ellis :
Louise Ellis has been a practitioner of yoga for 40 years and has been teaching for 35. She began studying in Mysore with her Guru Sri K Pattabhi Jois in 1993 and is one of the few women to have been certified by him to teach the Ashtanga Vinyasa system. Having started out with the study of traditional hatha yoga, pranayama and philosophy under Swami Vishnudevanda in 1971, her background includes several diverse yoga systems in which she has both practiced and taught. Her individualized approach to teaching centers on the development of pratyahara and ease in daily practice through the use of breath, dristhi and an attitude of surrender and bhakti. She maintains a dedicated daily practice and continues to travel  extensively in India and around the world to teach. American by birth she is currently based in Rishikesh, India, where she  offers an ongoing Mysore program.

For more details about Louise Ellis and her classes refer her website :
http://www.ashtangacenter.com/index.html


1 comment: